Top 10 Reasons to grow a garden:
10. You love zucchini, even though you’ve never bought it from the supermarket.
9. You feel all country-ish with seed catalogs spread out all over the coffee table.
8. Working 10 hours for a free tomato seems like a bargain.
7. You feel charitable showing up to work every day during the month of August with a bagload of free squash.
6. You’ve always wanted to crawl around at 6am with a flashlight, hunting for tomato worms.
5. You have an excuse to wear a John Deere cap.
4. Clean fingernails are overrated.
3. There’s nothing else to do in August, so you may as well weed, pick, and can. Every day.
2. The $500 you spent on seeds, fertilizer, and compost, to grow $200 worth of vegetables is a good investment by government standards.
And the #1 reason to grow a garden…
1. Those survival guys on TV have nothing on a family who can live off nothing but zucchini and pattypan squash for two months.