As I jet off…okay, drive off in the Ford Flex to the ACFW conference in Indianapolis, I leave you with my top 10 reasons to attend a writer’s conference…
10. Proving you can smile and nod while a guy a quarter your age thrashes your manuscript.
9. Marveling at how no one mixes their Apple Macbook with one of twenty others on the same table.
8. Watching an editor stuff your one sheet–which you labored over more than your novel–into a three inch thick folder of other one sheets.
7. Riding an elevator for two hours for the opportunity to use your elevator pitch.
6. Playing “match her\him to her\his facebook photo” because none are even close.
5. Saying “I’m so happy for you!” over and over again while trying not to scream.
4. Reading back covers so you can tell people you loved their latest book.
3. Wondering how five hundred starving artists are staying in the most expensive hotel in town.
2. Stereotyping by genre.
And the #1 reason to attend a writer’s conference…
1 Realizing on Monday morning you could have used your conference costs to buy a Macbook.