10. We say: Do the dishes.
Interpretation: Put dishes into dishwasher until full. Leave everything else where it is.
9. We say: Clean your room.
Interpretation: Clear a path from the bed to the door.
8. We say: Did you do your homework?
Interpretation: Did you do the homework you were intending to do?
7. We say: Take the dog for a walk.
Interpretation: Snap on leash, take dog to end of driveway, make him pee, return home.
6. We say: Turn off the TV.
Interpretation: Turn on Xbox.
5. We say: Your mother and I need some alone time.
4. We say: Eat something healthy.
Interpretation: Eat a carrot stick slathered in ranch dressing.
3. We say: Be nice to your brother.
Interpretation: No visible bruises.
2. We say: Wear something appropriate.
Interpretation: Pick up whatever is laying on the floor.
and the #1 thing we say to our teenagers and how they interpret them is…
1. We say: Someday you’ll regret not listening to me!
Interpretation: I’ve won the argument.